A property owner or landlord who rents to a PHA housing assistance programs participant must comply with all terms and conditions of the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract and the lease agreement as well as federal and state laws.
Property Owner / Landlord Obligations under the Housing Assistance Payment Contract
- Collect security deposit.
- Collect tenant’s portion of the rent; do not ask for or accept side-payments.
- Ensure assisted units are maintained in a safe, decent, and sanitary condition.
- Enforce the lease agreement.
- When the lease is being enforced, immediately notify PHA of the following situations:
- Unauthorized persons residing in the unit.
- Violations of the lease agreement, including non-payment of rent, criminal activity, etc.
- Tenant being served of an eviction notice.
- The death of a tenant or abandonment of the rental unit as soon as possible.
- Tenant services notice to move only after initial lease term, moves out of the unit without notice, or is absent from the unit for more than 180 days.
- Change in ownership.
Benefits of Participating in the Housing Choice Voucher:
- You will be providing affordable housing to Pharr families
- You are able to use your own lease
- Free initial, re-inspection, special and annual inspections of your unit
Responsibilities of the housing authority, owner and assisted families:
The HCV Program depends on a cooperative relationship between the housing authority, assisted family and owner or property manager. The program is designed to maintain the regular owner and tenant relationship. Our main purpose is to subsidized families’ rents; all other aspects of the lease agreement must be resolved between the landlord and the tenant. The following summarizes the responsibilities of each party.
The Housing Authority’s Responsibilities:
- Review all applicants to determine families’ eligibility for the program.
- Explains the rules of the program to families and property owners/managers.
- Issues vouchers to families.
- Inspects the housing assisted units for compliance with housing quality standards.
- Approves the unit, owner, and lease.
- Makes housing assistance payments to the owner in a timely manner.
- Re-examines the family’s income and composition annually and adjust the rent and process changes in rent portions when the income of the family composition changes.
- Ensures owners and families comply with the program rules.
- Provides prompt, professional service to owners and tenants families.
- Thoroughly screens and interviews families who apply.
- Maintains the property by making necessary repairs in a timely manner.
- Collects application fees, security deposits, and the tenant’s monthly rent portion as specified on the lease notification letter.
- Manages the property and enforces the lease.
- Complies with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract and HUD.
- Provide Current valid photo ID, warranty deed and Social security number.
- Provides the housing authority with complete and accurate information pertaining to the family income and composition.
- Reports changes in income and family composition that happens throughout the year in a timely manner.
- Locate a suitable unit. Pay the security deposit and application fees to the owner after the inspection.
- Attends scheduled appointments and return documents on time.
- Maintains the property and minor repairs.
- Complies with the terms of the lease.
- Pays their portion of the rent on time to the owner.
- Complies with all family obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program will be requiring all landlords who receive Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) to receive their checks by direct deposit.
Please be advised that Holidays may affect the deposit date. We will send you the monthly payment statement via electronic mail. Therefore it is extremely important that you provide us with your email account. We will not mail out paper statements any more.
Please come to the office to report any of the following changes.
- Owner change instructions
- Tax ID Form
- W-9 Form
- Direct Deposit
- Owner Address Change